Yum! Comfort food at it’s best and a great recipe to use up eggplants. My version doesn’t stray very far from the traditional, which I think is pretty important when it comes to Italian food. I’ve served it as a side dish as well as a main – up to you!
- Slice the eggplants, thinly, lengthwise. Lay them in a colander and sprinkle generously with salt, to extract the bitter juices. Leave them to drain for about an hour.
- Rinse, pat dry and coat the eggplant lightly in flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry off the slices of eggplant until golden on each side. Add more oil as needed and drain on absorbent paper toweling.
- Using a large rectangle or oval baking dish, arrange a layer of the eggplant on the bottom (slightly overlapping). Season with pepper (you won’t need salt as the eggplant will retain some of the salt from before).
- Spoon about 4 tbs of tomato over the top and scatter some basil over too. Follow with some mozzarella and some parmesan. Continue layering until you have no ingredients left.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until golden and bubbling.