This cake could easily be served as a dessert with a dollop of double cream or enjoy it as we did, for afternoon tea. Yum!
Flourless orange cake with cardamon
2 small oranges
250g ground almonds
250g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
10 cardamon pods, seeds crushed to a powder
2 tbs icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 180C and grease & line a spring based pan.*
- Cover oranges with water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 hrs. If the water starts to deplete top it up with boiled water from the kettle.
- In a large mixing bowl use the stick mixer to blend together the eggs & sugar.
- Add the oranges and pulverise them until well blended.
- Add the almond meal and the baking powder and mix again until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 40 – 60 minutes depending on which tin you use (see note below).
- Cool the cake in the tin, before turning out,
- Dust the cake with the icing sugar & crushed cardamon.
*I used a bigger tin because I prefer a flatter version of this cake but you could also use a smaller tin which will yield a higher, denser cake. The flatter version will take less time to cook but the higher version will need a full hour.