This is my favourite bean. Not only is it so pretty but the flavour of the bean when cooked fresh in unbelievable.
I have a great thick soup/stew recipe where I make use of these fresh beans whilst they are in season. It’s really hearty and delicious. Give it a try.
Borlotti bean soup
Serves 6 (freezes well too)
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
50 mls olive oil
1 can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped finely
1 ham hock
1 litre chicken stock
1 litre water
250g podded borlotti beans
100g small macaroni pasta
1 small handful Italian parsley, chopped
- Chop onions, carrots & celery. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot & saute vegetables gently over a medium heat for 8-10 mins or until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the ham hock and the stock and simmer gently for 2 hrs.
- When done, remove the hock and shred the meat from the bone into small pieces, discarding the bone & fat.
- Add meat to soup with beans and pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and add some cracked pepper & serve with parmesan.
NB you won’t need to add salt as the hock itself is quite salty.