Be warned, these are likely to give you a head rush. In a good way.
250g unsalted butter
300g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tbs good quality dutch cocoa
250g digestive or granita biscuits, crushed into chunks
160g good quality dark chocolate buttons
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Line a lamington tin (smallish rectangle) with baking paper, allowing extra to go up the sides.
- Heat the butter, sugar, egg and cocoa in a large saucepan on a gentle heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Slightly increase the heat and stir until starting to bubble.
- Add the chocolate (reserving a little to drizzle the top with) and stir to melt through.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then add the vanilla and the biscuits.
- Press into the prepared tin as evenly as you can. I like my hedgehog about 3cm deep.
- Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate on top using a spatula and sweeping movements.
- Allow the hedgehog to cool before turning it out onto a board and cutting into squares.