Saturday mornings are pretty predictable in our household. Big mugs of freshly brewed coffee, baby chino’s and pancakes. What a way to start the weekend.
Buttermilk pancakes with caramelised banana
Serves 2 adults and 2 kids
1 cup of plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
small pinch of salt
1 tbs sugar
1.5 cups buttermilk
40g unsalted butter, melted
1 banana, sliced diagonally
1 tbs unsalted butter, extra
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt & sugar into a bowl.
- In a separate jug, measure out the buttermilk and add the egg and whisk gently until combined.
- Gently whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- Finally, whisk in the melted butter.
- Heat a small non stick frypan and brush with a small amount of butter. Ladle 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and swirl into a circle. Cook on a low heat for about 2 mins and turn until golden on the underside.
- You can keep the pancakes in a low oven to keep warm, while you cook the banana.
- In a separate non stick frypan, melt the extra butter & gently cook the banana in each side until golden. Don’t overcook as they will fall apart.
- Serve pancakes, topped with bananas and drizzle with maple syrup.