Moroccan my world | Lamb Shank Tagine Recipe
Ohhhhh! This tagine is a winner. Perfect for cold nights.
Lamb shank tagine with pistachio couscous
4 lamb shanks (frenched by your butcher)
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
2 spanish onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
350ml chicken stock
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbs honey
1/2 tsp harissa
400g tin organic chickpeas, drained & washed
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
For the couscous -
2 cups couscous
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbs olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 handful fresh mint, chopped
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
1/4 cup currants (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 160C.
- Toast the fennel, coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, then grind in a mortar & pestle.
- Season the shanks with salt.
- Heat a good slug of oil in a large tagine or a oven proof casserole dish and brown the lamb shanks well until golden on all sides. Remove the shanks from the pan.
- Add the spices + the ginger to the pan and cook for a minute. Add the onions and the garlic and stir & cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the lamb shanks back to the pan and immerse them well into the mixture.
- Pour over the chicken stock and add the honey, cinnamon & harissa.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and bake in the oven for 2 hrs.
- When cooked, shred the lamb into the sauce, discarding the skin, bones & any sinewy bits.
- Stir in the chickpeas.
- To make the couscous, heat the stock in a saucepan to a simmer and pour in the couscous and oil. Put the lid on the saucepan & let the couscous sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir through the rest of the ingredients.
Cook & Food Stylist
YOU MAY USE ANY OF MY BLOG RECIPES, FOOD IMAGES, OR RECIPE CONTENT, JUST AS LONG AS YOU LINK BACK TO
WWW.MISHDELISH.COM OR CITE ME AS THE SOURCE AND FOOD STYLIST.
© COPYRIGHT MISHDELISH PTY LTD 2017 | GOOD FOOD BLOG, FOOD STYLING, FUN AND SIMPLE FOOD IDEAS & RECIPES