Who can resist a bowl of good old pea & ham soup? It’s a truly delicious tummy warmer. My version has a little bit of cabbage in it which cooks down to give the soup a really velvety texture.
Pea & ham soup
1 kg chopped smoked ham bones/shanks
500g green split peas
3 medium onions, finely chopped
4 carrots, peeled & chopped
4 celery sticks, chopped
1/4 cabbage, shredded finely
Sea salt & pepper
2 tbs Italian parsley, chopped
- Place the bones, peas, onions, carrots, celery and cabbage in a a stock pot & cover with 3 litres of cold water. Bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 hrs and skim the top regularly for any impurities.
- Remove the ham and bones & allow to cool. Shred the meat off the bones, discarding any fat and skin.
- Add the shredded ham to the soup.
- Taste for salt & pepper and season to taste.
- Reheat, top with parsley & serve.