Sa va? Well we were just fine after we devoured these pretty little French delights for afternoon tea.
180g butter, melted and cooled
200g caster sugar
Fine zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp baking powder
200g plain flour, sifted
Icing sugar to dust
- Prepare your madeleine tray by basting each hole with butter and covering with a light dust of plain flour, then put your tray in the freezer until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs & sugar together until pale and doubled in size, then gently mix in the lemon zest.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into the egg mixture, then add the cooled butter and gently fold through everything until combined.
- Leave the mixture to rest in a cool place for 10 minutes.
- Gently spoon the mixture into each of the holes, until 3/4 full, no need to smooth them over, just leave them as is.
- Bake in the oven for 8 mins – 10 mins, give them a gentle touch, if firm and springy and golden remove them from the oven and turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and lightly dust with icing sugar to serve.