This time of year, really good tomatoes are on the way out and usually go on sale at the markets/supermarkets. The really ripe juicy ones make the best soup. So buy up big when tomatoes are cheap and make this yummy soup.
Roasted tomato soup with oregano croutons
3 kg ripe tomatoes
6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed with skin left on
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 potato, chopped
Salt & pepper to season
500ml good quality chicken stock
4 slices of bread, cubed
1 tsp dried oregano
- Pre-heat oven to 200C.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place on a foiled tray with garlic cloves and season well with salt & pepper.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 mins.
- Remove as much skin and pips from the tomatoes as you can. I have a machine that spits out the juice on one side and the pips and skin on the other. It is invaluable, even if i do only use it twice a year!
- Saute the onion in the olive oil in a heavy based pot and add the chopped potatoes. Add the tomatoes and squeeze out the garlic from the skins.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, drizzle the bread with olive oil and the oregano and fry in a non stick fry pan until crisp and golden.
- Puree the soup with a stick mixer, check for seasoning & top with the croutons and serve.