Yummy, yum, yum. These might have been a product of a weird pregnancy craving but the flavour combo really worked.
Satay chicken pies
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tbs grated palm sugar
150ml coconut milk
500g organic chicken thighs, chopped into small pieces
1 tbs vegetable oil
6 spring onions, chopped
1 mild long green chilli, chopped (optional)
1 sheet good quality puff pastry (I used Careme’ available from good deli’s)
1 egg, beaten for basting
- Mix together the peanut butter, soy, lime juice, palm sugar and coconut milk and check for seasoning and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and cook the chicken until golden. Add the spring onions and chilli and saute for another minute or so.
- Let the mixture cool and stir through the coconut sauce. Put the mixture in the fridge, if you are pre-preparing to cook the pies later.
- Lightly butter 2 large ramekins and spoon in the chicken mixture. Using a cutter cut out rounds from the pastry or cut around the base of the ramekin and press the pastry down onto the mixture. Pierce 2 air holes with a knife and baste with the egg.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.