This is my take on a classic cheese & spinach pie. It evolved as a result of a pretty empty fridge & pantry so I used what I had. It was delicious and loved by the whole family.
Spinach & Cheese Rolypoly
1 leek, white section finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 big bunch english spinach, trimmed & washed well
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 eggs, gently whisked
2 tsp fennel seeds
Salt & pepper
2 large thick sheets of filo*
*I use homemade thick filo which you can get from selected Greek deli’s. Normal filo works just as well but you have to layer 12 sheets (6 sheets for each roly poly) basting each sheet with olive oil as you go.
- Pre heat oven to 160C.
- In a heavy pot, heat a good glug of olive oil and lightly cook the leek and garlic until soft.
- Add half the washed spinach and as soon as it starts to break down add the other half and the fresh herbs. Cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the spinach is all wilted.
- Take the spinach mixture off the heat and crumble in both cheeses. Add the chilli, pine nuts & the egg and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- This recipe makes 2 rolypolys, so starting with the first one, lay down the filo or layered filo on a bench and baste with olive oil. Spread half the spinach mixture over the top, but don’t go too close to edges.
- Using a firm grip roll the filo away from you, keeping the roll nice and firm. Halfway through, tuck in the edges so no mixture oozes out when cooking.
- Once rolled up, place on a baking tray and repeat.
- Baste the rolypolys with olive oil & scatter with fennel seeds and a little sea salt.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins or until golden.