There seems to be a million versions of stuffed peppers out there. Previous attempts have always been quite bland but this one is pretty damn tasty and healthy too. This is a great make ahead dish that can be warmed in the oven just before serving.
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 bacon rashers, finely diced (optional)
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/4 of a pumpkin, cubed and cooked in chicken stock
200g crushed tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs grated grana padano
1 small handful oregano, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
3-4 red peppers with a flat base
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Saute the onion and bacon together in a large frypan, until starting to golden. Add the garlic and celery and cook until soft.
- Drain the pumpkin and puree or mash it. Add it to the onion mixture with the tomatoes and rice and heat through.
- Lastly, stir through the parmesan and the oregano and season to taste (I add chilli flakes as well, but up to you).
- Cut lids of the peppers and discard the membrane and seeds.
- Place the peppers into a oven proof dish and fill with the rice mixture. Place the lids on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then take the lids off and bake for another 10 minutes.