- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 red peppers quartered and de-seeded
- 1 large eggplant, halved and sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1/4 cup finely grated good quality parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs finely sliced parsley (to garnish)
Preheat grill to very hot.
Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a pan and saute onion and garlic until soft. Add chilli and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes or until starting to thicken.
Place the peppers on a tray and grill until blistered and blackened. Place them in a plastic bag to sweat for 5 minutes or so. Peel off skins and dice roughly.
Combine eggplant and zucchini in a bowl and toss through the remaining olive oil. Place on a tray and grill both sides until tender. Add the peppers and set aside.
Pre heat oven to 180C.
Stir the chickpeas, thyme and sugar into the tomato sauce and set aside.
In a large rectangle oven-proof dish scatter half the roasted vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Top with half the chickpea sauce and repeat.
Sprinkle with parmesan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.