Here’s a really yummy quickie dinner for 2. Vary it any way you like with whatever veges you have on hand. You can also omit the bacon if you’d prefer and add some slivered almonds so you still get some protein.
Warm roasted vege salad with crispy bacon
1 carrot, chopped into chunks
1 small piece butternut pumpkin, chopped into chunks
1 small eggplant, chopped into chunks
2 baby fennel, chopped into chunks
4 silverbeet leaves washed & shredded
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup chicken or vege stock
1/2 cup couscous
1 knob of butter
2 rashers bacon
Chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Prepare all the veges, except for the silverbeet and put in a roasting tray. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season well with salt & pepper. Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 mins until soft & golden.
- While the veges are cooking, heat the stock in a small saucepan with a lid and when boiling add the couscous, give it a quick stir, put the lid on and take the saucepan off the heat.
- In a large frypan saute the silverbeet gently in some olive oil and add the garlic, cook for a few minutes and then squeeze in the lemon.
- When done stir through the cooked roasted veges and chopped tomatoes.
- In a seperate pan, fry the bacon until crispy & drain on a paper towel.
- Finally, fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir through the butter. Spoon in as much couscous into the veges as you prefer, give it a stir, top with bacon and serve.