As if caramel slice with a dark chocolate topping isn’t rich enough. I couldn’t help myself, but I’m glad that I did.
I adapted a fantastic recipe from Exclusively Food.
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
2/3 wholemeal SR flour
85g butter, melted
3 tbs golden syrup
395g sweetened condensed milk
300g best quality white chocolate
1 handful shelled pistachios, ground in a mortar & pestle
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C.
- Grease a 20cm square tin and line with baking paper. Ensure the baking paper hangs over the edge so you can use it as handles when you remove the slice from the tin.
- Mix together flour, coconut and brown sugar. Add the melted butter, stir to combine and press into your tin nice and evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden and slightly risen.
- Let the base cool while you make the caramel, make sure you leave the oven on.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and golden syrup and then add the condensed milk. Stir constantly over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Be careful not to let the caramel burn or get lumpy.
- Pour the caramel over the base and put back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Allow the slice to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or gently in the microwave and spread evenly over the slice and sprinkle over the crushed pistachio nuts. Put the slice in the fridge to set. When set cut into squares and enjoy!